Office of Policy and Ethics Research
|Head||Akifumi Matsuyama, MD, PhD|
|Research fellow||Mayumi Kurata, PhD|
|Staff members||Yuri Takagaki, Yukiko Ohmi, Akiko Fukagawa, Eriko Wada, Emiko Fujisawa|
Use of human-derived sample and information are essential to conduct biological and basic science research, and to further develop innovative drugs and other products. In order to facilitate research activities, the Office provides advice and assistance to researchers from ethical and policy viewpoints as well as protecting patients/donors' dignity and rights. Act as the Institutional Review Board (IRB) of NIBIOHN, the Office regularly holds committee meetings to review protocols for application. In addition, the Office studies the current medical research issues on policy and ethics, and publishes relevant information on social issues.
At IRB meetings, committee members review protocols applied for permission to implementation or continuation from ethical and scientific points of view. The Office organizes educational training to offer necessary knowledge and technical information.
On top of the above-mentioned, the Office works through the following activities:
- Study on the domestic and overseas researches of human-derived sample and information from international perspective.
- Establishment of a database for localization and availability of biospecimens. (https://mbrdb.nibiohn.go.jp)
- Establishment of a database for cross-searching of bioresources to support research/development of drugs and pharmaceutical industry. (https://alldbs.nibiohn.go.jp)
- Study on R&D trend and needs for research resources.
- Study on sustainable production and use of bioresources.
- Study on legal positioning of development/use of human bioresources.
Our research attitude and activities combine the humanities and sciences, which is unique in Japan, and the Office plays a leading role in this field.
Office of Policy and Ethics
|Office of Policy and Ethics can be contacted at: